Periodontics is a branch of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of periodontal (gum) disease. Periodontics Smithfield VA, there are many qualified periodontists who specialize in treating gum disease and other periodontal conditions. In this article, we will discuss the causes, symptoms, and treatments for periodontal disease, as well as the importance of regular dental check-ups and cleanings.
Causes of periodontal disease
Periodontal disease is caused by a buildup of plaque on the teeth and gums. Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that forms on the teeth and can harden into tartar if not removed by brushing and flossing. When tartar accumulates on the teeth and gums, it can cause inflammation and infection, leading to gum disease.
Other factors that can contribute to the development of periodontal disease include:
- Smoking: Smoking can weaken the immune system and make it more difficult for the body to fight off infections, including gum disease.
- Genetics: Some people are more susceptible to gum disease due to genetic factors.
- Hormonal changes: Hormonal changes during pregnancy, puberty, and menopause can make the gums more sensitive and susceptible to gum disease.
- Medications: Certain medications can cause dry mouth, which can increase the risk of gum disease.
Symptoms of periodontal disease
The symptoms of periodontal disease can vary depending on the severity of the condition. Some common symptoms include:
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Bleeding gums when brushing or flossing
- Receding gums
- Bad breath
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Changes in bite or the way teeth fit together
- Pus between teeth and gums
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to schedule an appointment with a periodontics Smithfield VA as soon as possible to receive a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
Treatment for periodontal disease
The treatment for periodontal disease depends on the severity of the condition. In the early stages of gum disease, non-surgical treatments such as scaling and root planing (deep cleaning) may be recommended to remove plaque and tartar from the teeth and gums.
In more advanced cases of gum disease, surgical treatments such as pocket reduction surgery or gum grafts may be necessary to repair and regenerate damaged gum tissue. Dental implants may also be recommended if tooth loss has occurred as a result of gum disease.
Preventing periodontal disease
The best way to prevent periodontal disease is to practice good oral hygiene habits, including:
- Brushing teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
- Flossing daily to remove plaque and food particles from between teeth
- Using an antiseptic mouthwash to kill bacteria and freshen breath
- Eating a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables
- Avoiding smoking and tobacco use
In addition to good oral hygiene habits, it is important to schedule regular Smithfield dental care check-ups and cleanings with a dentist or periodontics Smithfield VA. During these appointments, the dentist or periodontist can check for signs of gum disease and provide professional cleaning to remove any plaque or tartar buildup.
In conclusion, periodontics is an important branch of dentistry that focuses on the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of gum disease and other periodontal conditions. In periodontics Smithfield VA, there are many qualified periodontists who can provide expert care for patients with gum disease. By practicing good oral hygiene habits and scheduling regular dental check-ups and cleanings, you can prevent gum disease and maintain a healthy smile for years to come. If you are experiencing